I came across this very interesting self-quiz on History is Elementary.
A few weeks ago as I was visiting many of the teacher blogs I have on one of my blogrolls at History Is Elementary I saw The Privilege Meme over at Confessions From the Couch. I thought it was interesting.
Miss A explains this meme is to help examine privileges/social class. The meme comes from What Privileges Do You Have?, based on an exercise about class and privilege developed by Will Barratt, Meagan Cahill, Angie Carlen, Minnette Huck, Drew Lurker, Stacy Ploskonka at Illinois State University.
If you participate in this blog game, they ask that you PLEASE acknowledge their copyright.
—> To participate, copy and paste…then unbold my responses to make your own.
Bold the items that apply to you:
1. Father went to college
2. Father finished college
3. Mother went to college (one year, secretary school).
4. Mother finished college
5. Have any relative who is an attorney, physician, or professor (English teacher)
6. Were the same or higher class than your high school teachers. (same)
7. Had more than 50 books in your childhood home. (most belonged to me, lol)
8. Had more than 500 books in your childhood home.
9. Were read children’s books by a parent. (up until my mother remarried, when I was 5).
10. Had lessons of any kind before you turned 18
11. Had more than two kinds of lessons before you turned 18.
12. The people in the media who dress and talk like me are portrayed positively.
13. Had a credit card with your name on it before you turned 18.
14. Your parents (or a trust) paid for the majority of your college costs.
15. Your parents (or a trust) paid for all of your college costs
16. Went to a private high school
17. Went to summer camp (flag corp)
18. Had a private tutor before you turned 18
19. Family vacations involved staying at hotels
20. Your clothing was all bought new before you turned 18
21. Your parents bought you a car that was not a hand-me-down from them
22. There was original art in your house when you were a child
23. You and your family lived in a single-family house.
24. Your parent(s) owned their own house or apartment before you left home
25. You had your own room as a child
26. You had a phone in your room before you turned 18
27. Participated in a SAT/ACT prep course (I don’t think they existed in the olden days)
28. Had your own TV in your room in high school
29. Owned a mutual fund or IRA in high school or college
30. Flew anywhere on a commercial airline before you turned 16
31. Went on a cruise with your family
32. Went on more than one cruise with your family
33. Your parents took you to museums and art galleries as you grew up.
34. You were unaware of how much heating bills were for your family.
I scored five. Wow. I guess I wasn’t privileged. However, I am raising my own children differently. I think I can give my kids a score of 14. So that’s better!
How did you do?