Cat owners, I am in desperate need of your help and/or advice. We have a 5 year-old male cat named Fuzzy. He has this horrible wound or ulcer or something in his side. Of course, we discover this late Friday night, when the Vet’s office is closed for the weekend!!!!!!! I am worried sick about Fuzzy– we wonder if he was hit my a jerk with a BB gun, or if he was in a bad fight… the wound is very bad and I am asking you for your advice.
I took some photos of Fuzzy’s wound– Do not “read more” if you are squeamish!! To my feed readers– I sure hope the RSS feed doesn’t display the entire post here. I’m sorry if it does— don’t read any further! The photos even make me queasy and I am not a queasy person.
So here are the photos.
You’ve been warned!
This could make you feel really gross!
My heart feels like it’s going to break.
I can’t get him to the vet until tomorrow, hoping that the vet is even open (I’m not sure about that yet, all I get is the vet answering machine). The wound is very bad. It does not look infected, but I am wondering if anyone has any advice.
1. Fuzzy is eating and drinking OK.
2. Fuzzy is not hot and there is no drainage from the ulcer.
3. We think he was either in a fight and was bitten really, really hard, or he was shot by a pellet or BB gun.
4. He obviously has chewed away at his fur and the wound.
5. Can I stitch it up? Does anyone know of any way to knock out a cat (unconscious)? He will allow me to pet him and come close to the wound, but I know he’ll not allow me to dab antibiotic ointment or stitch him up. He’s kind of cantankerous that way.
6. Is there anything I can do besides give him food and water and keep him indoors until I get him to the vet?
I’m a little afraid of taking him to the vet when the time comes, because I expect the bill to be staggering. I’m wondering if there is anything I can do here at home. I know how to do a lot of medical things, but it is the unconscious thing I am concerned with. He will not let me touch it and I don’t want to upset him.
Anyway, anyone have any ideas? I know I have a lot of cat owners and even some veternarian readers from time to time. I am very needful of advice and comfort! :’( My poor Fuzzy!